KEEPING CHILDREN SAFE IN EDUCATION (KCSIE)
What is Keeping Children Safe in Education?
Keeping Children Safe in Education 2019 is a document containing statutory government guidance that sets out the legal duties all staff in education must follow in order to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people aged 18 years and under in schools, colleges, and education settings across the United Kingdom.
The KCSiE guidance applies to all education settings, and Part 1 plus the school’s behaviour policy must be read by all staff. This includes teachers, headteachers, and everyone else working in an education environment (including admin and support staff) as well as governing bodies, proprietors, and management committees.
School and college leaders and all staff who work directly with children should also read Annex A of Keeping Children Safe in Education 2019.
There are 5 parts to the KCSiE document and they are split into the following sections:
- Part 1: safeguarding information for all staff
- Part 2: the management of safeguarding
- Part 3: safer recruitment
- Part 4: allegations of abuse made against teachers and other staff
- Part 5: child-on-child sexual violence and sexual harassment